This is was a great skillet dish I threw together for dinner with the produce I had in the kitchen and added a little Moroccan spice mixture to it. It turned out great so I thought I would share. I ate the leftovers for breakfast the next day with half an avocado diced on top...delicious!!
- 3-4 chicken breasts cut into small chunks
- 1 bunch of chard (de-ribbed and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 purple onion (cut into thin slices)
- 3 cups of butternut squash (cut into small bite-size cubes)
- 1/2 jar of green olives sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ginger root powder
- sea salt and pepper
Clean, slice and chop all your veggies. Melt coconut oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Salt and pepper chicken chunks and add to skillet. Cook until browned but not cooked all the way through. Add in onion and butternut squash. Add in spices. Cook until squash is fork tender. Add in broth and chard and cook a few minutes until chard is cooked down. I used a lid on the skillet to help steam the chard a bit. Toss in the olives at the end and stir to warm entire mixture. Add in additional sea salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!!
Recipe by Brenda Walding, DPT, FDN