Paleo Lamb Rogan Josh
- 2 lb. of lamb (Note – At least one pound should be ON THE BONE, that’s where all the flavor is! It makes a HUGE difference, trust me!! I used 1 lb. of lamb stew meat and 1 lb. of lamb necks)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 tsp of ground coriander
- 4 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) of full fat coconut milk
- 15 oz. of water
Heat coconut oil in a large pot. Lightly salt and pepper the lamb meat and sear on high heat until all sides are brown, with a bit of a crust. Do this in batches as you want even heat exposure when cooking the meat. After it’s all done, remove all the meat from the pot and set aside.
Cook onions in the lamb meat fat for ~2 minutes on high heat to soften them. Then add the garlic, ginger and the seared lamb back into the pot and mix briefly. Finally, add all the ground spices and salt to the pot and stir all the ingredients together for about 1 minute. Allow the spices to soak into the oil, that’s how the flavor really develops! Next add coconut milk and water to the pot.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer curry with cover on top for about 1 hour. Then remove top and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes in order to thicken the sauce.
Ladle into a bowl and enjoy!