Getting Started with a Paleo Diet
How to begin a healthier way of eating
WHERE DO I START?
1) Clean out your pantry! Get rid of all processed and packaged foods in your house. Get rid of all foods with a label, in a package, or in a can (with the exception of coconut milk). Throw out the sugar, sodas, candy, pasteurized milk, crackers, cookies, frozen dinners, soy foods and condiments. Avoid these toxic chemicals that find themselves in most modern foods:
- Artificial Flavors
- Artificial Colors
- Protein Powders
- Soy Protein Isolate
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Nitrates and Nitrites
- Refined Sugars
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Trans Fats
- Vegetable Oils
- White Flour
2) Change your fats! Consume and cook with the right kind of fats
Cook with QUALITY coconut oil, butter, ghee, animal fats, palm oil at high heats, olive oil for sautéing on low to medium heats (Splurge and get good quality fats/oils) MUST BE NON-HYDROGENATED. It’s easiest to start your inventory coconut oil, whole butter and olive oil.
Fats and oils for cooking at high heat
- Coconut oil – Nutiva Organic, Extra Virgin, Unrefined Coconut Oil, Wilderness Family Naturals (Organic, Extra Virgin, Unrefined and you can buy in bulk)
- Palm oil – Wilderness Family Naturals, Amazon, local natural grocery stores or Whole Foods
- Whole butter – Organic butter or raw butter from grass-fed animals (Kerrygold and Organic Valley Pastured Butter are good brands)
- Ghee can be found at most local natural grocery stores, Whole Foods or here.
- Quality animal fat coming from grass fed animals – You can use rendered bacon fat from pastured pork or duck fat
Fats and oils for cooking at very low heat
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Macadamia Nut Oil
- Make efforts to find these organic, unrefined and extra virgin
Fats and oils for consumption
- Flax oil – (raw, unfiltered, organic) is high in omega 3s and great for salad dressings or on steamed veggies, never heat flax oil!
- Coconut milk – ok to add to soups, make sure nothing is added to it, get organic (Nature Valley is a good brand)
- Nuts and seeds – try to get organic and raw when possible and soak before consumption to get rid of gut-irritating enzyme inhibitors
3) Buy GRASS-FED MEATS, WILD-CAUGHT FISH, & EGGS FROM CHICKENS RAISED ON PASTURE – You want meat from animals that have been raised on pasture to eat GRASSES not GRAINS. You want meat from animals that have not been given HORMONES or ANTIBIOTICS – Shop at local farmers markets for the BEST meat and eggs!! Here you can get grass-fed meat, pasture-raised chicken and eggs from pasture-raised chickens. Ask the farmer what they feed their animals. It doesn’t have to be “organic” if you are getting it from good source. – You can get GRASS-FED meat at Whole Foods – Buy WILD-CAUGHT FISH versus FARM-RAISED fish. If you do not live close to a farmers market US Wellness Meats provides a great service delivering the highest quality meat to your door.
4) Fruits and Vegetables – With vegetables and fruits buy organic when possible at the grocery store to avoid PESTICIDES AND HERBICIDES (they will wreak havoc on your body) – If you are shopping at the farmer’s market many farmers do not have the label of “organic” because they are a small farm and do not have the money to go through the certification process. Ask if they use HERBICIDES AND PESTICIDES. Most do not and it is a great source for fresh produce – Eat a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits…try a new vegetable and find a recipe on the internet.
5) Nuts and Seeds – Most nuts and seeds need to be soaked to get rid of gut-irritating enzyme inhibitors. Use this website to see how long to soak your nuts. You can dry them in the oven at your oven’s lowest temperature or in a dehydrator.
*Don’t go crazy on nuts if you are trying to lose weight or have digestive issues.
6) Sweets – Eat sweets in moderation and when you do…make them at home.
- Eat truly raw, unheated local honey
- Use honey to sweeten tea and in place of sugar to make sweet treats
- Use stevia for an alternate sweetener
- Use figs and dates for baking
- AVOID: aspartame, Splenda, Nutrisweet, Equal – these are neurotoxins and are very harmful to your body!
all pasteurized and homogenized dairy. There are many people that do well and report health benefits from drinking RAW milk from grass-fed animals and fermented dairy, such as yogurt and kefir. This is NOT the dairy you find in the grocery store. We recommend removing dairy completely initially…at least for 30 days in order in order to create self-awareness about your own possible reactivity to it and get a baseline for how you feel. It would be wise to eliminate it entirely until acheiving weight loss goals.
***NOTE: People with autoimmune conditions may do better with removing butter, eggs, nuts, seeds, & nightshades.